Make My Life (An innovative project for Type 1 diabetes):
“Instead of hiding the diseases, one should feel confident about the disease.”
Type 1 Diabetes is seen in children and adolescents in each stratum of the community. According to IDF diabetes Atlas India is a home of an estimated 97000 Type 1 Diabetes patients. Every fifth, Type 1 diabetes child in the world is Indian compared to every seventh, Type 2 Diabetes adult across the globe. India is leading in number of type 1 diabetes cases in South East Asia Region. This disease is a major financial, social as well as psychological burden in their families. These children have to depend upon insulin replacement therapy in form of multiple injections or pumps for their rest of the life. Apart from that they also need continuous education, motivation, counseling, regular consultations, regular monitoring of their blood glucose, regular tests to prevent future complications of diabetes like retinopathy (Blindness), nephropathy (kidney failure), neuropathy(diabetic foot) and treatment of acute complications related to disease and therapy (coma)– which are inevitable in their journey of life. They may require even costlier investigations and treatment for complications related to diabetes like dialysis, retinal laser therapy, retinal surgery, amputations etc.
Many of the complications of Type 1 diabetes are potentially preventable if these children manage their disease carefully and undergo screening for complications regularly. Many Children with T1 diabetes die before they are diagnosed, or soon after diagnosis, due to inadequate access to treatment.
25% of family income may be devoted to diabetes care. Minimum basic conventional treatment of one child per year may cost his family around 20000 per year. That is why majority of these children undergo substandard management of their disease most of the times.
Type 1 children are dependent on the parents and pose additional burden to the society. The cost of bringing up these children may not give any reward in terms of social benefit and that is why society neglects these children.
We believe that
- With proper management of diabetes and its complications, children with type 1 diabetes can live long, healthy and cheerful life.
- Children and their parents cooperation is essential for proper management of diabetes and its complications.
- It is only possible by empowering them with proper knowledge and helping them in accessing the best possible resource.
- General education about the disease.
- Nutrition care and guidance.
- Life style modification.
- Self monitoring of blood glucose (SMBG).
- Insulin injection technique, storage of insulin, latest insulin delivery devices.
- Management of low blood sugar.
- Hypoglycemia card.
- Management during emergency, school hours and outing.
- Sick day rule.
- Distribution of educative material: pamphlets, posters, banners booklets, CDs etc.
- Use of social media:
1. Facebook, Twitter, Linked-In platforms.
2. Inspirational messages from experts and various stakeholder involved in the diabetes care.
3. Information about upcoming events.
4. Informative video interviews/ documentary films.
5. FAQs & expert guidance.
Make My Life Meet:
- To impart education in a fun-filled atmosphere.
- Includes educative games, drama, skits and competitions; prize distribution, yoga, diet recipes, inspirational talks etc.
Value Added Services:
- Developing Role Models for Type 1 diabetes.
- National level data bank.
- A virtual portal for type 1 Diabetes.
1. Portal is developed to share and exchange views, thoughts and concerns.
2. Online conversation to make life with Type 1 Diabetes easy.
Clinical Care of International Standards at free / affordable rate:
- Exclusive Out Patient Department.
- Essential laboratory tests.
- Diabetes supply such as medicines, testing devices, insulin delivery devices, foot wears, sugar free sweets/cookies/chocolates/biscuits etc.
- Indoor facilities.
- Specialists opinions for prevention and management for complications.
Centre of Excellence for:
- Insulin pump.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring System.
- Detection of antibodies.
- T1 Diabetes Genetic Consortium.
- Stem cell therapy.
Capacity Building: To deliver best clinical care even at the remotest place
- Doctors Training.
- Paramedical Training.
- To Cure and Prevent Diabetes.